Grammar Basics Workshop
Learn at your own pace, in any location, with expert support.
Grammar Basics Workshop is a self-paced, online professional development course for primary and secondary teachers around Australia. Our course improves teachers’ knowledge of grammar and their ability to support students’ literacy.
ACCREDITATION: NESA & TQI (for NSW and ACT teachers)
NSW accreditation: Completing Grammar Basics Workshop will contribute 5 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Accredited PD in the priority area of Delivery and assessment of NSW Curriculum/Early Years Learning Framework addressing standard descriptors 2.1.2, 2.5.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
ACT accreditation: This accredited (TQI 2021) 5-hour course addresses 1.3, 2.1, 2.5, 6.2 and 6.4 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher registration.
ENROLMENT & PAYMENT:
If you would like to pay through direct debit, please contact us through the Contact tab.
The course is designed for both primary and secondary teachers Australia-wide who want to increase their knowledge of grammar. The course has been been particularly tailored to help you understand the key components of English grammar as documented in the Australian Curriculum (F-10) and the NSW K-6 Syllabus.
This self-paced, online course is organised into a series of mini lessons to help you learn grammar step-by-step. The course includes many interactive activities to give you lots of chances to practice and refine your new knowledge.
Grammar Basics Workshop will cover the following:
- Parts of speech/word classes – nouns, verbs, adjectives etc.
- Verb systems – main/auxiliary, finite/non-finite, transitive/intransitive
- Word groups/phrases
- Sentences – simple, compound, complex
- Grammatical function – subject, object, complement, adverbial etc.
- Active and passive sentences
- Teaching strategies and activities
The course helps you to:
- understand the fundamentals of English grammar as outlined in the documented in the Australian Curriculum (F-10) and the NSW K-6 Syllabus
- develop confidence in using grammatical terminology
- analyse the grammar of texts, identify errors and apply this knowledge to their teaching
- use grammar to improve students’ literacy skills
- gain classroom-ready grammar teaching strategies, skills and resources
- understand the needs of students from diverse linguistic backgrounds
About the instructor:
The facilitator of Grammar Basics Workshop, Margaret McBride (BA, M.Ed), has over 30 years of English language teaching experience. Margaret has also taught teacher education and grammar at Australian universities.
Are you enrolling multiple teachers?
Accounts for multiple teachers can be purchased in two ways:
1. By purchasing a school licence (see below for options).
2. By purchasing multiple individual licences. If you choose this option, please log out between each registration (via the My Account tab), to ensure a new account is created.
Click ‘Enrol Now’ to begin your learning journey today!