Grammar Basics Workshop
This accredited (TQI 2021) 5 hour course addresses 1.3, 2.1, 2.5, 6.2 and 6.4 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining proficient Teacher registration.
Click the ‘Enrol Now’ button at the bottom of the page to begin enrolment in this course.
If you would like to pay through direct debit, please contact us through the Contact tab.
This self-paced online course is organised into a series of mini lessons to help you learn grammar step-by-step, with lots of chances to practice and refine your new knowledge. The course covers the key components of grammatical subject knowledge that are required for the Australian Curriculum English. The course is designed for primary and secondary teachers Australia wide (and internationally) who want to increase their knowledge of grammar. The course has been tailored to help you understand English grammar as documented in the Australian Curriculum: English under Sentences and Clause-level grammar and Word-level grammar.
The course aims to help you:
- Understand the basic concepts of English grammar
- Develop confidence in using grammatical metalanguage (terminology)
- Improve your ability to analyse the grammar of texts
- Use grammar to improve your students’ literacy skills
- Understand the needs of students from diverse linguistic backgrounds
- Begin the process of developing engaging activities for teaching grammar
The course will cover the following:
- Parts of speech/word classes – nouns, verbs, adjectives etc.
- Verb systems – main/auxiliary, finite/non-finite, transitive/intransitive
- Word groups/phrases
- Sentences – simple, compound, complex
- Grammatical function – subject, object, complement, adverbial etc.
- Active and passive sentences
- Teaching strategies and activities
About the instructor:
The facilitator of Grammar Basics Workshop, Margaret McBride (BA, M.Ed), has over 30 years of English language teaching experience. Margaret has also taught teacher education and grammar at universities to post-graduate and master’s degree students.
Are you enrolling multiple teachers?
Accounts for multiple teachers can be purchased in two ways:
1. By purchasing a school licence (see below for options).
2. By purchasing multiple individual licences. If you choose this option, please log out between each registration (via the My Account tab), to ensure a new account is created.
Click ‘Enrol Now’ to begin your learning journey today!