Grammar Basics Workshop (20 Licence, Single School, AUS)
This accredited (TQI 2021) 5-hour course addresses 1.3, 2.1, 2.5, 6.2 and 6.4 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining proficient Teacher registration.
Click the ‘Enrol Now’ button at the bottom of the page to begin enrolment in this course.
If you would like to pay through direct debit, please contact us through the Contact tab.
The course is designed for both primary and secondary teachers Australia-wide who want to increase their knowledge of grammar. The course has been tailored to help you understand the key components of English grammar as documented in the Australian Curriculum: English under Sentences and Clause-level grammar and Word-level grammar.
This self-paced, online course is organised into a series of mini lessons to help you learn grammar step-by-step. The course includes many interactive activities to give you lots of chances to practice and refine your new knowledge.
At Grammar Train we understand the importance of teaching grammar in the context of rich texts. Our research and experience show that a solid understanding of sentence-level grammar equips teachers to more effectively teach grammar in context.
The course will cover the following:
- Parts of speech/word classes – nouns, verbs, adjectives etc.
- Verb systems – main/auxiliary, finite/non-finite, transitive/intransitive
- Word groups/phrases
- Sentences – simple, compound, complex
- Grammatical function – subject, object, complement, adverbial etc.
- Active and passive sentences
- Teaching strategies and activities
The course helps you to:
- understand the fundamentals of English grammar as outlined in the Australian Curriculum
- develop confidence in using grammatical metalanguage (terminology)
- analyse the grammar of texts, identify errors and apply this knowledge to your teaching
- use grammar to improve your students’ literacy skills
- understand the needs of students from diverse linguistic backgrounds
- begin the process of developing engaging activities for teaching grammar
About the instructor:
The facilitator of Grammar Basics Workshop, Margaret McBride (BA, M.Ed), has over 30 years of English language teaching experience. Margaret has also taught teacher education and grammar at Australian universities.
STRAIGHTFORWARD PD MANAGEMENT:
Schools can initiate teachers’ enrolment simply by entering names and email addresses into our straightforward learning management system.
Every school is different, and our course is suited to both individual self-led learning and group learning. Depending on your needs, you might like to:
- Invite teachers to complete at their own pace (asynchronously), according to your own PD/PL schedule.
- Complete in a group setting during a regular PD/PL period.
Either way, our course can be paused and re-commenced according to your schedule.